Post Office Closures
This motion against the closure of local Post Offices was put to Council Jan 15th 2008 by Cllr Tim Kent and Seconded by Cllr Mark Wright and was PASSED.
- Votes FOR: Liberal Democrats, Conservatives
- Votes AGAINST: None
- Abstentions: Labour
This Council believes that Bristol people value the role of local Post Offices in their community and do not wish to see the closure of any more Post Offices in the City.
This Council notes with concern that:
- Since 1999 under the current Labour Government 61 post offices have closed within the city.
- A further 2,500 Post Office closures are planned nationwide.
- The urban network of Post Offices will sustain 50% of the planned closures which will result in further reduction in the number of Post Offices within the City.
- One in five of the remaining Post Offices in the network are due to be closed, equating to 8 of the remaining 39 Post Offices in Bristol.
- During March 2008 the Post Office will map the location of the City's Post Offices against criteria set by the Government, which will identify a potential closure profile and commencing in May 2008 a six-week 'public consultation' will be undertaken on the closure proposals.
- The Government have reduced the services available in Post Offices against the wishes of customers.
- There is very poor collection service at local sorting offices with most being open for only a few hours in the morning. This is simply not acceptable in today's busy world where a lot of people use Internet shopping and are at work.
This Council resolves to:
- Oppose to the Government's Post Office closure programme and respond to the consultation accordingly.
- Ask the Chief Executive to investigate ways that this Council can provide services for Bristol people via the network of local Post Offices.
- Lobby to increase the opening hours of local sorting offices to provide an evening collection for missed parcels or packages.
- Call on our five MPs to lobby the Government to save the Post Office and to report back to this Council on their actions.
- To increase the viability of the Post Office network this Council calls on the Government to:
- End the branch closure programme;
- Remove the Royal Mail restrictions on the Post Office to open up further business opportunities for the network;
- Stop removing Government business from Post Offices;
- Carry out a review of which additional Government functions could be carried out through Post Offices; and
- Invest in the Post Office network.